Legacy Family Tree 7.5 has now received official FamilySearch certification in four new categories and will be available as a free update for both Standard and Deluxe edition users on Monday, January 17, 2011.
For years, FamilySearch has worked on developing a web application for researchers to be able to interact with a very large, unified database of connected genealogical information. This new system is being released in phases - first for members of the LDS church while it is tested and perfected, and then to the public. This new database, commonly known as "New FamilySearch" is the database with which Legacy 7.5 will interact. All other databases, including the new Historical Records, Family Trees, and Library Catalog are currently open to everyone at http://www.familysearch.org/.
Who should install this update?
Everyone. Although the only major new feature in the 7.5 update will be the addition of more new FamilySearch integration tools, there will be dozens of minor additions and fixes for everyone. However, gaining access to the new FamilySearch databases requires an account. Currently, registering for a new account is restricted to members of the LDS church.
New FamilySearch Certifications
- Sync - ability to keep FamilySearch family tree current with Legacy's information for selected persons and information (optional - you do not have to share anything if you do not desire)
- Update - publish to new.familysearch.org family tree. Also includes request to combine matched individuals (also optional)
- Ordinance Reservation (LDS-specific) - identify persons needing ordinances, prepare for Ordinance Request, and check for duplicate ordinances
- Ordinance Request (LDS-specific) - request ordinances in order to print the ordinance cards
- Access - search and read new.familysearch.org family tree
- Print - print multiple reports and charts using online data from FamilySearch
- Ordinance Status (LDS-specific) - read and display ordinance status information
- PAF Import - PAF data can be imported into Legacy for use in the tree
Register for our Legacy-FamilySearch webinars
As part of the Arizona Family History Expo in January we are teaching two classes about Legacy and its new FamilySearch tools. These classes will also be broadcast to a live webinar audience. Registration is free but space is limited.
Improving Your Use of New FamilySearch: Data Cleanup Strategies, Friday, January 21, 2011
New FamilySearch Made Easy with Legacy Family Tree, Saturday, January 22, 2011